By Leonor Godinho,José Natário
Unlike many different texts on differential geometry, this textbook additionally bargains attention-grabbing functions to geometric mechanics and common relativity.
The first half is a concise and self-contained advent to the fundamentals of manifolds, differential varieties, metrics and curvature. the second one half experiences purposes to mechanics and relativity together with the proofs of the Hawking and Penrose singularity theorems. it may be independently used for one-semester classes in both of those subjects.
The major rules are illustrated and extra constructed by means of a variety of examples and over three hundred routines. distinct options are supplied for plenty of of those routines, making An advent to Riemannian Geometry perfect for self-study.
Read Online or Download An Introduction to Riemannian Geometry: With Applications to Mechanics and Relativity (Universitext) PDF
Similar mechanics books
Overall strain Measurements in Vacuum know-how makes a speciality of the dimension of low overall strain in adversarial environments or within the presence of magnetic fields. This publication emphasizes the overall methods and difficulties focused on dimension suggestions and actual ideas on which vacuum gauges function, instead of at the unique description of the gauges.
Engine checking out: conception and perform brings jointly the data on either the speculation and perform of engine trying out that engineers during this box should have to be had. prepared into 19 chapters, this booklet starts with an outline of the engine attempt telephone, together with the salient positive factors of its major varieties.
Mechanics of fabrics: With purposes in Excel® covers the basics of the mechanics of materials—or power of materials—in a transparent and simply comprehensible means. every one bankruptcy explains the idea of the underlying ideas and the acceptable mathematical family, supplying examples that illustrate the applying of the mathematical family to actual events.
This booklet bargains with many of the points of stochastic dynamics, the answer of enormous mechanical platforms, and inverse difficulties. It integrates the newest principles from examine and within the box of stochastic dynamics and optimization in structural mechanics over eleven chapters. those chapters supply an replace at the a number of instruments for facing uncertainties, stochastic dynamics, reliability and optimization of structures.
- The Rational Spirit in Modern Continuum Mechanics: Essays and Papers Dedicated to the Memory of Clifford Ambrose Truesdell III: v. 3 (Text, Speech & Language Technology)
- Kinetic Theory of Gases (Dover Books on Chemistry)
- Electromechanical Control Technology and Transportation: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Electromechanical Control Technology and Transportation ... 2017), January 14-15, 2017, Zhuhai, China
- Proceedings of the Yamada Conference XV on Physics and Chemistry of Quasi One-Dimensional Conductors: Lake Kawaguchi, Yamanashi, Japan, May 26-30, 1986
- Analytical Fluid Dynamics, Second Edition
- Reinforced Concrete Beams, Columns and Frames: Section and Slender Member Analysis
Extra info for An Introduction to Riemannian Geometry: With Applications to Mechanics and Relativity (Universitext)
An Introduction to Riemannian Geometry: With Applications to Mechanics and Relativity (Universitext) by Leonor Godinho,José Natário